But now I have a solution to that fat content/cost conflict- my new George Foreman Next Grilleration Removable Plate Grill! Here's some information on the grill and the fat reduction claims, taken from the product's website:
Results of independent testing show that the George Foreman Grill removes up to 42 percent of fat from quarter-pound burgers made with 80/20 ground chuck beef, 80/20 ground chuck beef, translating to a reduction of approximately 89 calories per burger.
About the grill itself:
The Test Subject:
The raw burger patty contained 80% lean ground beef and 20% fat (an average of 23 grams of fat). After it was cooked on the George Foreman grill, the fat was reduced to an average of 13 grams of fat**
Why it Works
The George Foreman Grill is designed to remove fat. Four components contribute to the healthy benefits:
• Patented slope design
• Contact Grill
• George Tough™ non-stick coating lets you cook without adding butter and oil
•Grease tray collects the fat that drips
off the grill
A couple of days ago, we decided to have hamburgers for dinner again (pretending that it's summer here!). This time I picked up some 80/20 ground beef at the store (for a much lower price than the extra lean beef!) and quickly made a couple of hamburger patties for our dinner. After a short preheating period, the grill was ready to go. I put the patties inside, closed the grill and started watching as the fat dripped into the pan. After the burgers were cooked (a matter of just a few minutes), this was what was leftover in the drip pan! That's a lot of fat that I'm glad didn't go into me. Yuck!
- 72 square inch grilling surface lets you cook for 4
- 2 dishwasher-safe removable grill plates for easy clean up
- Temperature indicator light indicates plates are at grilling temperature
- Integrated handle is ergonomic & compact
- George Tough™ Triple non-stick coating is durable & eliminates need for oil
- Patented sloped grill design knocks out the fat
- 1 ½" floating hinge works to accommodate thick cuts of meat
- Embedded heat elements provide consistent heat & rapid recovery time
- Dishwasher-safe removable plates with cool-touch handles for easy clean up
- 2 Plates included: 2 ribbed grill plates
I'm really happy with this grill. In addition to the hamburgers, I've used it on chicken, and I've had good results with that as well. The grill does a great job of cooking my foods, works quickly, and helps me stick to my "less fat in my diet" goal. And it's easy to clean, either with washing by hand or by sticking the removable plates in the dishwasher. Love it!
Disclosure: I received this grill to review for myself, thanks to the Family Review Network. I was not compensated in any other way and all opinions posted here are mine and mine alone.